Trumpeter - AT-T Artillery Prime Mover
A Short History
The AT-T was a Soviet heavy artillery tractor used during the Cold War. In 1946 the 200HTZM worked on developing a heavy prime mover using the T-54 for the chassis. The requirements were: 25 ton artillery towing capacity at 35 km/hour. The Artilleriyskiy Tyagach Tyazholiy, or AT-T was the prime mover that was developed on the T-54 system. The AT-T was developed to tow large-caliber artillery weighing as much as 25,000kg. The chassis was also used for heavy engineering vehicles and radar vehicles.
There a a total of 16 steps in the assembly. There are some very tiny PE parts which could frustrate the more inexperienced builder.
The beautiful V12 engine and transmission are assembled here. There are 39 parts to this beauty. It is too bad it will not be seem under the hood.
The Finished Engine Assembly
Step 2 & 3
In step 2 the road wheels, drive wheels, and rear idlers are assembled. I did not like the fact that the black tires had a ridge that only allowed them to be added to the star wheel before the wheel halves could be glued together. At this point I painted the very nice starfish wheels then added the tires. Then the wheel halves could be glued together. Just a small pain in the neck.
The bump stops, torsion arms, drive gear boxes, and rear tension adjusters are added.
Rear tow devices are also added as are the vehicle tow cable anchors.
In step 3 the same parts are added to the other side. The front tow cables are also glued in place.
The two boxes for the engine compartment are glued up and added as is the hull separator plate. The completed engine assembly is glued in place as well. I painted and weathered the compartment before adding the engine assembly. The instructions would have the modeler add all the road, drive, and idler wheels at this time. I left mine off to be painted and aid in lower hull painting.
Steps 5 & 6
The rest of the towing parts and PE covers are added.
The interior parts are assembled, seats and pedals.
The dashboard is nicely detailed and decals are provided for it, as seen below.
Photo etched sun visors are provided. A nice touch that probably will never be seen.
Steps 7 & 8
Steering and other levers are added to the interior.
The semi-finished Interior. A little pigment needs to be removed!
In step 7 the cab is assembled. I had to paint the interior and add the decals on the back cab wall. As you can see I got a little ahead of myself here. I was having so much fun I forgot to take assembly pictures. OOPS! I only broke the spot light off twice!
In step 8 the doors are assembled and added to the cab. The hood and side panels are also added. Filler caps are added to both sides of the cab. I left the window lenses and wiper blades off till after painting. The fit of the doors is a little off.
The cab hatch lid is added as are the fire extinguishers. There was a mold ridge around the top of the cab. You might be able to see the slight remains of the line below.
In step 9 the front storage boxes are assembled as are the side pieces. The wood grain on the benches is very nice. I guess the modeler could display these in the down position, though it is not shown in the instructions.
In steps 10-12 The previous assemblies are added to the one piece upper hull plate. Tool boxes and pioneering tools are added in these steps.
Exhaust ports are added to the lower side of the hull plate near the middle of the vehicle.
The tail gate is assembled and added to the bed. Hull plate detail is very nice.
Also in this step the cab is added to the hull plate. The fit is very good. The grab handle and hood catches are added here. Head lights are assembled and added. I used some commercial lenses for the headlights and spot light lenses.
On this side a set of shackles are also added.
Additional tow cables and their fittings are added. A PE piece holds the cables in place at the front of the vehicle.
The instructions state that 90 links are required per side. Mine needed a couple less. I do not care for individual link tracks, though these were nicely detailed with no ejector pin marks to deal with. The upper plate, bed, and cab assembly are glued to the lower hull. There were no fit issues. The front and rear mud guards are added and that is it for the assembly or the AT-T!
Paint & Weathering
The basic color I used was Tamiya XF-26 Deep Green with some Tamiya XF-4 Yellow-Green added to lighten the base color. The interior seats were painted with Pactra Leather. The tracks were painted with Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth. Then I gave the upper parts a coat of heavily thinned Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan. It toned things down and is kind of a dust effect. The lower parts of the hull and drive train were given a light dusting of Tamiya XF-52 Dark Earth. The bed got some pigment for ware and tear. Tow cables were done in metalizer paints.
The Finished Product
Some Final Thoughts
Trumpeter did a great job with this kit. The engine and transmission are things of beauty. Assembly was made a little more complex by the ridges on the tires, as stated previously. The molding is well done. The fit of the doors and the windows was a little off, but that may just be me. Beginning modelers would probably be frustrated with the individual link tracks and the very small PE parts. Russian artillery builders will certainly be glad to have this big boy to haul their hardware. This is a big model, very tall. I enjoyed the build.
Highly Recommended for Intermediate to Advanced builders.
Thanks goes out to MegaHobby.com for this review kit.
Reviewed by William Schmidt
If you liked this review, consider joining AMPS. Your annual membership
includes six copies of AMPS's magazine, Boresight,
and helps to support our ongoing reviews.
Click here for more information about joining AMPS